Thursday, 12 April 2012

Week 6: Group 4 Tools - Interactive Learning Objects

INTERACTIVE LEARNING OBJECTS

  In relation to the interactive learning objects that make up the group 4 tools I have used used  GoogleEarth in the past.  So I was quite excited once I found out what resources are out there, available online.   I do have to say the simulation interactive learning objects such as the Gizmos, really interested me and I can easily see how I could use these within my classroom. 

 

GIZMOS

I have designed my Prezi Zooming Presentation which I intend to use during my first placement where I am working with year 11 students on their unit of work which will be covering Plant Physiology.  I have included a few Gizmos into my Prezi to use in class.  I have included a PrintScreen of the Photosynthesis Lab which we will be using.  The idea is for the students to simulate experiments to gain an understanding of what factors affect plant growth.  Then the student are to undertake their own plant growth experiment by selecting one variable to alter (soil pH or light levels, etc.  I first obtained the Gizmo through my access to SCOOTLE (Catholic Education Database for Teacher Resources), using this access I was able to also get access to ExploreLearning.  I have added the links to these in my Prezi (however I do not think they will open without the Scootle password - sorry!) (I have also signed up for a free 30 day trial).  Definitely a resource I will be looking to have access to once I become a registered teacher as well. 


The great thing about these Gizmos on ExploreLearning is that they also come with teacher notes and notes for students to scaffold learning.  I wasn't able to embed the pdf file into my blog.  So instead I have saved into onto my website - Under Science - Biology of Plants.  
http://www.weebly.com/weebly/main.php
 
The class that I am working with all have computers so they often take all of their class notes in OneNote.  For my class to use this pdf, they can access from my website but, to make it easier for them I have actually added the pages from the pdf into OneNote so that the student can add their comments directly into OneNote during class.


ExploreLearning






7 BILLION ACTIONS


Explore your world through 7 Billion Actions - did you know that we live in a world of 7 billion people, living in seven continents and more than 200 countries, this dashboard allows you to take a closer look at the world population in 2011 and beyond: Check out populations by region or country. Look at the proportion of young and old. See what various paths the future population growth may take.

7 Billion Actions




(Print screen captured from: http://www.7billionactions.org/data )


ADOBE FLASH



Link to Futures Thinking Tool - Biotechnology Learning Hub


This Tool - Futures Thinking used Adobe Flash.  This is a really amazing tool that I would implement into my Human Geography or Environmental studies.  I would probably look to use this as the assessment item as it ensure that students are using higher order thinking.  Students are required to look at a scenario / topic from many different perspectives - personal, local, national and global.  They are to consider these four perspectives when thinking about the existing situation, the trends over time & drivers of these trends (reasons for change), when contemplating the possible futures, and then deciding on their preferable futures.  Taking this all into accounts students are then required to summarize their decisions and explain how they came to these decisions.  (Very Cool!)




(Print screen captured from: http://www.sciencelearn.org.nz/Thinking-Tools )


GOOGLE EARTH


Google Earth

I have used Google Earth quite a bit adding my own pinpoints for future reference  to define areas that I needed to zoom to quickly.  I think this would be a great pedagogical resource especially for my teaching areas science and geography. With geography the students could use Google Earth 'to fly around the world' and then view these from the street view (which is amazing).  Giving the students the ability to gain perspective on places without having to leave the classroom.  There are also other functions and applications / layers (traffic layer, etc.) hat you can add to Google Earth.  But my favourite add on program is Ocean - this is where a National Geographic ocean explorer, Sylvia Earle, narrates a highlight tour through some of the best photos and videos in the 'Explore the Ocean' layer in Google Earth.

Explore Oceans in Google Earth


Google Earth even has its own Lat & Longs Blog!